Monday, November 17, 2008

Fire!

















On Saturday Chris' family was faced with what could be considered the ultimate hypothetical situation. They fled Yorba Linda with whatever they could grab in 5 minutes: Sabrina the cat, Jessica's tennis racket and books of poetry, Aaron's work shorts, a few photo albums, medications and toothbrushes. They all came over to our place and we sat glued to the TV for hours while we watched their pretty city burn.

But through it all we had a good feeling that their house would be untouched, and although it came awfully close, the fire never made it to their immediate neighborhood. What high drama though! One natural disaster is all it takes to put your life back into perspective. The fire was mostly contained by Sunday afternoon so we all went back to check things out. People were wandering around on foot, fire trucks were everywhere, discarded hospital masks littered the ground and I even saw a very elderly woman in the Albertsons parking lot with a tropical caged bird in her lap. The roads opened up around 4, they were able to go home and stress turned to celebration. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, everyone.

Go here for more photos.

5 comments:

Ang said...

Wow! I'm glad everyone is okay. How scary.

Sarah said...

Look, I know it's a little strange to see Kristy WITHOUT MAKEUP in the albertson's parking lot holding bobo, but I wouldn't go so far as to call her very elderly!!! JK. It is funny though because my mom was in the albertson's parking lot for hours with bobo!!!

The Oregonians said...

We're grateful everything turned out so well for all of you. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
To all other readers: If you haven't seen all 56 of the pictures you should. Some amazing photos.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Oh man, what a blessing they and their home are okay. What intensely high drama. Good grief. I'll have to check out all the photos.

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. It somehow seems wrong that a palm tree can catch on fire. Those poor firemen. I liked the thank you sign someone had made for them. Glad the Warrens are safe - especially Brandon.
Mom