


I have waited long enough and I decided today would be the day I did a post in memory of my dad who passed away unexpectedly in December. Today would have been his 50th birthday! My dad was not fond of the idea of aging, he was always the most fit guy on the basketball court (including his much younger sons) and he liked to keep his hair long (that was the designer/beach bum in him). When I was in high school I decided to grow a gotee. He was not thrilled but not for the reason you might think (clean shaven appearence is good for a pre-missionary), no it was because I looked older and consequently that made him seem older! During my teenage years we would go to the same place to get our haircuts and they always thought we were brothers, I was proud to tell people that.
Last year when we celebrated his 49th birthday, which obviously he didnt like big celebrations for him, I thought about what to do for his 50th. I thought about how I wanted to do something special but at the same time I wanted to be sensitive to his feelings about getting older, its ironic that today would be that day and no one has to worry about that, instead we just remember the good times and thank Heavenly Father for a great man.
He is indeed a great man. The picture above that exemplifies him the best is the one with his hand on my back as we walk from little league baseball tryouts. That was my dad to me. He was my greatest supporter in all facets of my life and in all our lives as his children. I'm fighting back the tears just writing this so its time to stop but I wanted everyone I know to know today is his special day. Thanks Dad you know how much we love you and I know how much you love us. I know that you are still a part of our lives and although it is not as convenient, our relationship can be more sacred and special and I will always strive for those little moments we will have. I love you and miss you dearly.

6 comments:
Such a beautiful post Chris. Thanks for sharing with us. Hugs to you and your family on this special day.
A nice tribute to your father,
Chris. Thank you for posting it.
Chris, this was a really kind tribute to your dad. He was such a special man...all the proof you need is to look at his children.
I also want to tell you how much I appreciated your dad's love and acceptance. My mom called me several times throughout the years bc your dad made a point to pull her aside and tell her that he admired that Sarah and I didn't quite fit the mold! I thought it was so cool that he took the time out to express this. It made me feel like I had a someone on my team! Your dad was such a positive force. He is missed.
Thanks for writing this post.
Rebekah really took the words from my mouth. I think our whole family felt very accepted and understood by your dad, that is such a gift. I really appreciate this post, thank you for letting us celebrate your father with you today.
Thanks for this post Chris. I really wish I could have known your father. I have heard what an incredible man he was from many people. He really raised some amazing children as well. Thinking of you and your family.
Beautiful tribute to your dad, Chris. Thanks for writing this. He raised a great son!
Post a Comment