In the car sits a Christmas card to Grandma and Grandpa Warren. It wasn't sent with the others because I could not find their address.
Now it is 4:15 am Sunday the 21st of December. I can't sleep and so you find me here, writing. 15 minutes ago my cousin Wes called me and informed me that my grandmother had passed away. She had some kind a heart problem about a week ago and had gone in to have a pace maker put in (keep in mind she was only in her 60's). We knew that Grandma was not well but that it must not be life or death because she had a follow up appointment for January 22nd to perform a surgery. Well things changed rapidly and my grandma collapsed yesterday and had been unconscious in a hospital bed until about 2:45 am MST when she left for Paradise.
Grandma Elsie Warren was a very entertaining woman. She was a huge sports fan. I have fond memories of going to her house and looking at the sports cards that she had, she had more than me! She always had an opinion about something. Her opinions were a bit different than my takes on some stances but that was how Grandma was. She was always welcoming though. She loved family and desired greatly for my family to live in Utah and not California so she could be close to us. This bruised the relationship between my dad and her but it seems they had been on better terms most recently.
She lived in West Jordan UT with my grandpa. I grew closer to her once I went away to college and she even got to meet Julia on a few separate occasions.
I write this entry more for myself than anyone else. It is 4:28 AM and I have no idea how I will go back to bed. When I get into the car this morning to go to church I will find a quiet reminder, a Christmas Card to Grandma. I loved my Grandma even though I was not as close to her as I would have liked. I have little experience with death to close family yet understand it is a part of our mortal life. I know Grandma is in a paradisaical state now and I know that I will have the opportunity to see her again. I know that God lives and that His son Jesus Christ suffered and died so that we may be together once again. I thank Christ for this now more than ever.
5 comments:
We send our condolences to you and Julia, Chris. It is times like these, as you know, that make us grateful for so many things in our life.
Our love to you and your family.
Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt
Our condolences to you and your family at this difficult time. I have no doubt she is looking down and sees the Christmas card ready to go from her wonderful grandson and knows and feels the sentiments within. You are in our prayers. May your extended family be blessed with the peace of the plan of salvation during this time.
Love,
Mom Higgins
My sympathy and well wishes to you and your family. This is the kind of unexpected news that catches everyone up short and I really feel for you and yours. We are blessed to have the gospel and to know that all things are in the hands of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Blessings on you,
Dad Higgins
Chris, we're so sorry to hear about your grandmother. We're especially sorry that it happened so unexpectedly, which must be a huge shock to everybody. You're in our prayers. This was a really sweet post.
Chris, I am sorry to hear about your grandma. My grandfather recently passed away and the pain of their absence seems reoccuring. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
Post a Comment