Sunday, June 6, 2010

I recently took my second annual biz trip to New York for the National Stationery and SURTEX Trade Shows.
























I loved (LOVED!) the hotel I stayed at. The Smyth in Tribeca—so deliciously modern.
























Perks included Kiehl's shampoo and soap, impeccable fixtures, fun furniture, and a cool lobby. The view from my room overlooked a food cart and I could hear kids beat-boxing and freestyle rapping on the street below my window.

























I took a million pictures like this. I love whipping through the city in a taxi and being able to see the different boroughs so quickly.


















The Lower East side, close to Clinton Street Baking Co. where I consumed the most delicious pancakes I have ever eaten in my life. I heard it often has 2 hour waits on weekend mornings!
























Can I take this opportunity to mention some of the other things I ate in New York? Venezuelan arepas, Korean ssam, gourmet Mexican, and delicious diner food were all represented. I will never eat another frozen Lean Cuisine dinner ever again.
























I also had the chance to do a lot of shopping (mostly window variety). Some of my favorites were abc home and Kate's Paperie. I spent some time in Nolita again this year, where I feel right at home. It's artsy and funky, but unintimidating.
























I felt less at home on Wall Street with all of the suited stock brokers, but it's probably one of my favorite places to walk around in New York. The roads are closed to traffic and the buildings tower around you in an almost unnatural silence.
























The weather was spotty. The second day it rained--hard, and cold. It was impossible to catch a cab and my coworker and I got completely soaked to the bone. We finally ended up taking shelter underground and riding the Metro.


















I was able to pop over to Brooklyn for the first time, but it was toward the end of a long day and I was too tired for picture taking. It was lovely, though, all brownstones and hipsters and chirping birds.

The more I go back to the city, the more I appreciate it. I am so grateful for my job that I can have opportunities like this. I always come home feeling so reinvigorated--I can't wait to go back already.

8 comments:

Hess Fam said...

prettiest picture of you. oh how i miss that face.

Royce said...

how fun i'm jealous! we need to hang out!
-aubree

The Oregonians said...

Boy, the perks of your job are
fantastic. Thanks for the pictures and commentary.
"New York, New York, that
wonerful town"
The Battery's up and Manhatten
is down."

Okay, no more Lean Cuisine, but can we still go to Chuck-a-Rama?

Brett and Kimberly said...

Next time your work needs you to go, let's trade spots. Deal? Deal.

Bek said...

great pictures. best city in the world.

The Oregonians said...

Ooops!
"The Bronx is up and the Battery's down..."
Sorry about that.

Julia Warren said...

Grandpa, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. And yes, we can still go to Chuck-A-Rama, but only if we make it sound sophisticated by pronouncing it Chuck-a-RAHMA.

Julie said...

Holy cow - what great pictures. What a cool business trip! Loved your room and all the buildings. I wonder what they put in those pancakes to make people wait 2 hours for them???? Thanks for such a great recap.